Tuesday, September 4, 2007

God Judges the Nation of Israel

God Judges the Nation of Israel

(Amos 5:1-2)

“Hear ye this word, which I lift upon you, even a lamentation of the house of Israel. The virgin Israel is fallen, and shall no more rise: she is left upon her land, and there is none to raise her up.”

I. Why did God judge Israel?

A. God’s truth-based justice was perverted by bribery and greed. “…they sold the righteous for silver, and the poor for shoes.(Amos 2:6b) “They esteemed most vile bribes more than men’s lives.” (1599 Geneva Bible notes) “And they lie down upon clothes laid to pledge by every alter: and they drink the wine of the condemned in the house of their God.” (Amos 2:8) “Thinking by these ceremonies, that is, by sacrificing, and being near mine alter, they nay excuse all their other wickedness.” (1599 Geneva Bible notes) “For I know your manifold transgressions, and your mighty sins: they afflict the just, they take rewards…” (Amos 2:12)

B. God’s servants were corrupted and persecuted. “And I raised up your sons for Prophets, and of your young men for Nazirites. Is it not even thus, O ye children of Israel, saith the Lord? But ye gave the Nazirites wine to drink, and commanded the Prophets, saying, Prophesy not." (Amos 2:11-12) “Ye condemned my benefits, and abused my graces, and craftily went about to stop the mouths of my Prophets” (1599 Geneva Bible notes)

C. The poor were abused. “…they oppress the poor in the gate” (Amos 2:12c) “Hear this, O ye that swallow up the poor, that ye make the needy of the land to fail, Saying, When will the new month be gone, that we may sell corn? And the Sabbath, that we may set forth wheat, and make the Ephah small and the shekel great, and falsify the weights by deceit? That we may buy the poor for silver, and the needy for shoes: yea, and sell the refuse of wheat.” (Amos 8:4-6)

D. Worship of God was superficial and empty. “I hate and abhor your feast days, and I will not smell in your solemn assemblies. Though ye offer me burnt offerings and meat offerings, I will not accept them: neither will I regard the peace offerings of your fat beasts. Take thou away from me the multitude of thy songs (for I will not hear the melody of thy viols.) ” (Amos 5:21-23) “God is a Spirit, and they that worship him, must worship him in Spirit and Truth.” (John 4:24)

E. Idolatry was common. “But you have born Sikkuth your king, and Chiun your images, and the star of your gods which you made to yourselves.” (Amos 5:26)

F. Sexual immorality was common. “…and a man and his father will go in to a maid, to dishonor mine holy Name.” (Amos 2:7b)

II. How did God judge Israel?

A. God first brought limited judgments to Israel. “And therefore have I given you cleanness of teeth…and scarceness of bread… And also I have withholden the rain from you…I have smitten you with blasting and mildewPestilence have I sent among you…your young men I have slain with the sword…[I] have taken away your horses…yet have ye returned not unto me…” (Amos 4:6-10)

B. God reminded Israel of his judgment of the heathen nations. “…For three transgressions of Damascus…Gaza…Tyre…Edom…Ammon…Moab…Therefore will I…” (Amos 1:3-2:2)

C. God’s final judgment of Israel was devastating. “For thus saith the Lord God, The city that went out by a thousand, shall leave an hundred…” (Amos 4:3) “Therefore will I cause you to go into captivity beyond Damascus…” (Amos 5:27)

III. Did God show any mercy to Israel?

A. God provided Israel a way to escape judgment.Seek good and not evil, that ye may live: and the Lord God of hosts shall be with you, as you have spoken. Hate the evil, and love the good, and establish judgment in the gate: it may be that the Lord God of hosts will be merciful unto the remnant of Joseph. (Amos 5:14-15)

B. God preserved the elect remnant. “Behold, the eyes of the Lord God are upon the sinful kingdom, and I will destroy it clean out of the earth. Nevertheless I will not utterly destroy the house of Jacob, saith the Lord. For lo, I will command and I will sift the house of Israel among all the nations, like as corn is sifted in a sieve…” (Amos 9:8-9a)